Emmy and Grammy Award-winning comedian Jimmy Fallon brings high tempo energy to The Tonight Show, with his welcoming interview style, spot-on impersonations and innovative sketches.
But long before he was the lovable host of The Tonight Show, the talent that is Jimmy Fallon could be found on Saturday Night Live…
While studying at the Groundlings Theater in Los Angeles, making $7.50 a set at The Improv Theater, Jimmy Fallon was called to New York to audition for SNL. His impersonations helped him get the gig as a featured player for the show’s 1998/1999 season, and he was promoted to full cast member in the summer of 1999. Among his signature bits were his song parodies and Weekend Update segments, which he co-hosted with Tina Fey.
But his most memorable and endearing trademark was when he broke character. I think it’s safe to say that no one on SNL has matched Fallon’s unique breaking standards (nope, not even Bill Hader).
Jimmy’s “breaks” were always (and still are) hilariously entertaining. It’s probably why he never really learned to stop. Spotting the initial cracks in his characters is always easy. He’d look at the floor, turn his back to the camera, or chew on his index finger. They’re all classic Saturday Night Live “break techniques”. If the audience can’t see your face, they can’t see you laughing (but we totally can, it’s hilarious and we love it).
Five Epic Jimmy Fallon Character Breaks on Saturday Night Live
1. Saturday Night Live: Jeffery’s. Trendy clothing store mocks other people’s fashions. Aired on February 17, 2001.
2. Saturday Night Live: The Happiest Place on Earth. Aired on May 1, 2004.
3. Saturday Night Live: The Leather Man helps an attractive customer. Aired on November 16, 2002.
4. Saturday Night Live: Aquarium Repairmen. Two guys fixing tanks over here. Aired on January 11, 2003.
5. Saturday Night Live: Weekend Update. Jimmy Fallon stands by his review of “Meet the Parents”. Aired on October 21, 2000.
Jimmy Fallon left Saturday Night Live in 2004 to pursue a film career.
On March 2, 2009 he went on to host five successful seasons of Late Night with Jimmy Fallon. The show aired its final episode on February 7, 2014.
The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon premiered on February 17, 2014. The show is broadcast around the world, but most notably on NBC, Weeknights at 11:35/10:35c.
For more information visit the show’s website at The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon.